Wednesday 20 February 2013

Paul ( Pepco ) 201 Chassis Isolation

Many folks have an old tube amp that is great fun to play, and ooze with wonderful tube tone.  With more info available about the safety related to "transformerless" amps, and tons of well meant cautionary recommendations,   lots of folks are letting these old amps collect dust or abandoning them altogether. Good choice.

Perhaps after having been mildly surprised or well bitten, you got the message.
I got my surprise with damp socks in the basement.  'Nuff said.

This is my 2nd Pepco amp and this one having a 50L6 output tube, can really impress with those great tones at bedroom levels.   
This is a working PEPCO 201 and the mods I made can be performed with similar amps that use line AC to feed the tubes' heaters.  These typically are 12AX7, 35Z5, 50L6 or other variants like 35W4, 50C5.
You should have some insight as to the circuit layout and some familiarity with power supply construction principles, tubes, safety, etc.

Many will and do say that these old amps are easily recreated with newer components, and not worth the effort to go this far. It really is a matter of choice, or opportunity.  My total outlay was surprizingly well under 200 smackers, and some parts, like the bridge, I rescued out of another project.

My thoughts are that if you dish out 150 bucks or more for a transformerless amp, you are hitting the boundary of whether to trade up for a newer entry tube amp, unless other considerations might include collectibility. 

So, what I have done here might apply equally for those considering the similar tube radio mods for guitar or harmonica.  I'd like to do a "AM Radio" head one of these days and see no reason why not.  Knowing a little about how to make amps safer, might also help you determine (and talk down a price) what is a reasonable price for an old relic.   

Here we go

1. Get a isolation transformer that will handle the power requirements for the amp. Note that there's a 1/2 wave rectifier that will create an imbalanced load on the tranny.  Research suggested this is cause for some level of saturation, so I looked to balance the load by inserting a full-wave bridge rectifier.  My transformer is 60VA. A new 3 prong line cord also is needed. Star washers for your chassis grounds.

2. Get a bridge with sufficient current carrying capacity with PIV near 3x the 120v to be good.  Mine (8A 800 PIV )is bolted to the chassis with some thermal lube.  Using diodes in free air could be done. You should double what you determine the expected current, for the rating of the diodes for that comfort
headroom.
   
3. For necessary new connections get a terminal strip of sorts, heat shrink tubing, etc. You don't want to have connections hanging in space. ( If you think
this amp will change hands, you certainly want it to look right. ) I used crimp on connectors for the terminal block, and drew a little solder into the crimp. You'll also need to re-wire the primary side, on-off switch and power indicator.

4. Plan your chassis real estate for placement of the transformer. Ideal, would be to have it on the chassis.  I was fortunate to find a place for this one.  Locating it
elsewhere would require some thought to shield hands from the connections to
the chassis from ... where-ever.

5. Do some safety checks after ( make sure you evaluated your plan correctly and executed just that)
a) Check your line cord for shorts and chassis->earth ground continuity.
b) Do a smoke test with no tubes in, check voltages at tube sockets. 
c) When you're happy, put the tubes in, check for glow, and listen for that soft
hum at what should be the same level as before.
d) recheck voltages  at tube sockets, input jacks, etc. 
e) plug in a guitar or mic and give it a test. 


I won't lie and say it was easy, there was certainly some head scratching and thoughts of "gee, what if I have to back it out ?"
Take plenty of good clear pictures so that if you want to go back, you have images documenting the original state.

I went a step further and reconstructed schematics of the intended mod, and ended up later plotting the schematic of the whole amp.  My intention here was to capture info of all of the circuit elements that required chassis ground, and the elements that connected to DC common return. ( these are not the same ) 

Anyway, heres some pics and a circuit ( I welcome any corrections on the circuit as I make no guarantees of its accuracy).

Before




Covers off
 Put some heat shrink to protect wires through the chassis and de-burr the holes you make.

Done, almost looks like it belongs


  

12 comments:

  1. Hi
    Nice work.
    I have this amp on the bench now and going ahead with the mod you suggest
    How has it worked out for you?
    Where did you get the iso tranny?
    CE only has a 90VA and a 30VA.
    thanks
    pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Sorry for the delay Peter. I'm pretty sure I did a phone order from a local electronic supply shop. It's a Hammond 169RS 60 VA

      Delete
  2. It still hums a little, a nice reminder of when its cranked. I probably should replace the canned electrolytic cap someday, but its a low, low amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    Thank you very much for this, I have a Paul and Pine exactly like this amp that I am in the midst of installing isolation transformers on.

    Quick questions, I am pretty sure I saw a post on a forum asking about this amp (that same schematic was on there) and another member answered that you should switch where the bridge rectifier was placed to include the filaments. Maybe I read it wrong. I'm just wondering if you did that, and if you did, did you need to change the drop resistor for the filament voltages? I have read elsewhere that using a full wave bridge rectifier on the filaments in this case can increase the voltage going to them which is bad on tube heaters for sure.

    Thanks again.
    Wes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the heaters remain unchanged, they're full wave and I would think it is not warranted to add to the rectifier load. I've seen some comments / critique on the overall change and haven't had a chance to fully evaluate them. Other comments on the overall amp design is of interest, though I am not feeling the need to mess with the tone much. As you probably know, it breaks up nicely for hb's or single coils quite impressively. Talk of getting a little more gain might be worth exploring if it doesn't bring more noise. I still have the original filter can and would look to replace that before attacking the design, if noise ever becomes obtrusive. Its no worse than the one I played in the late 60's matched up with a Harmony Bobcat ...that was fun.

      Delete
    2. I didn't fully answer about filaments if you want to provide them with DC , you'll need some re-design of the wiring to compensate for the lower DC voltage out of the rectifier. It'd be dramatically short of the 98 volts you need for seriies connected filaments. I could see it if you were to set up as a parallel feed to the 50C5, in parallel with feed to series connected 12ax7 + /35Z5. But hey, what if that changes your tone. Some say it will.
      My approach left heaters at the original design, FW rectification feeding the 35Z4 really just turns it always on, perhaps a tiny bump in the B+.
      I did not record voltage levels of the working amp before starting. If you did, maybe you could share if the difference is substantial. I also have not checked sag levels at Vmax. I expect sag may be a little less with more balanced power delivery. I still love this amp,

      Delete
  4. I want to thank you for sharing this schematic, it's exactly what I need to trouble shoot the Ford amp I have been given, as a project.

    Mine uses a 35W4 rectifier and 50C5 Mini tubes, whereas the tube chart shows a 35Z5 and 50L6 Octals.

    The pictures have also encouraged me to evolve this to include an isolation transformer, thank you for the tips along the way.

    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, good luck. Curious would that be a Pepco amp too? CSA # will give you a clue. I'm curious what the chassis model # if there is one ?

      Delete
  5. I was preparing another project and needed and AC chassis mount plug socket, so I took one off of an old computer switching power supply. Everybody has one of those lying around. Anyway, while in there found a nice bridge rectifier whose specs were easily attained via web search of the numbers on it. It might just do for an amp project forthcoming. Good de-soldering tools might be required and be careful don't overheat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reviewed a forum where pontiacpete had opened a thread for assistance ( http://music-electronics-forum.com/t34429/ ) and noticed what he had appeared to do to remove hum. Its sketchy to me, but he appears to move the ac heater load back to the primary side and then grounded the secondary (??). It appears to me that would indeed short out the common components of the cathode circuit of the output section, and likely resulting a significant change in the tone control and bias (hmm!). Not surprisingly later, notes that the tone control does not work. I haven't heard back from pontiacpete on his design changes, and without knowing for sure what he did, I would certainly like to see what happened to his DC voltages. My thoughts are that he's gone beyond isolation and don't recommend adopting his actions taken as described in the thread.
    I'll note that I do regret is not having a set of DC voltages taken in advance of the change.

    Now I do agree that my schematic should be corrected for a safety practice mentioned there wrt the power switch placement. Glad to have had a couple sets of eyes going over this. I'll mention too that the energized line should go to the center pole of the fuse holder, and not go to the cap/edge liner. Be safe !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old thread but would you happen to have the original Paul 201 schematic unmodified ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, for the delay, not getting much action on this post. I had no original drawing. I had a hand drawn schematic that I modified , it was approximate for the most part but captured the primary power accurately. Incorporating a grounded AC plug at the same time is where it gets interesting. Your best bet is to discharge the filter caps and trace the wires as best you can from the primary. Basically the heaters are in parallel with the AC
    line to the rectifier diode. I modded nothing beyond the rectifier other than return for the solid state rectifier, it is not ground. In my diagram the chassis connections are shown as ground. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete